The Inspector-General of Police(IGP), Usman Baba, has moved to file a motion for the contempt proceedings and committal order to be set aside.
This move was made after a decision made by the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on Tuesday, November 29th,that passed the committal order.
This was made known by the Police Force spokesman,Olumuyiwa Adejobi,in a statement released to the press on Friday,December 2nd.
“In the motion filed before the Federal High Court in the Federal Capital Territory on Thursday, December 1st, 2022, the IGP extensively highlighted grounds why the orders should be set aside, including noting that he had not been appointed into office as Inspector-General of Police when the case was instituted and the reinstatement order in question granted,”Adejobi said.
According to Adejobi, and also backed up by Baba,the contempt proceedings were served by substituted means in November 2018 and January 2019 respectively, to the then IGP and not to him as the incumbent.
The IGP, in his disposition, further noted that even before he assumed office, official steps had been taken by his predecessors toward complying with the reinstatement of Patrick Okoli, the plaintiff, as ordered by the court.
Adejobi said, “As noted by him, this was evidenced by an official letter addressed to the Police Service Commission on the approval of the then IGP, as far back as 2015, and before the court order of November 29, 2022, requesting the Commission to issue a reinstatement letter to the plaintiff and also affect his promotion in line with the order of the court and in the exercise of their statutory authority in that regard. Hence, the grounds for the contempt proceedings ought not to have existed ab initio.
“The IGP reassures Nigerians of his unalloyed commitment and steadfastness in defending the rule of law and respecting judicial authorities and hence, will not wittingly or unwittingly disobey any order validly granted by courts of competent jurisdiction.”